Criteria for Referral for one to one support from Sexual Health Promotion Team
The Sexual Health Promotion Team offer one to one referrals for young people aged under 18 years old (or 25 years old if they have a learning disability) who require additional support in order to make informed choices about their sexual health.
Please note this is not a counselling service.
This support will cover the following areas;
- Knowledge and information about maintaining good sexual health.
- Skills building for managing relationships.
- Confidence on communication in relationships.
- Misunderstandings about sexual health issues will be challenged in order to encourage greater objectivity about choices.
These areas might be seen by concerns about the individual exhibiting
- Poor compliance with contraceptive method due to poor knowledge and understanding.
- Motivational support egg. preventing re-infection and maintaining safe sex practice.
- Issues and misunderstanding around consent.
- On-going engagement in risk taking behaviours.
Specific groups of young people will also be accepted due to their other vulnerabilities or engagement in risk taking behaviours. They could be classed in the following groups:
Looked After Children and Care Leavers
Victims of Domestic Abuse or Domestic Violence
Mental Health Problems
Young people with learning disabilities
Poor self-esteem due to multiple risk factors
Young people disengaged from education
Young people engaged in unsafe sexual behaviours
Following referral, a member of the sexual health promotion team will contact the young person and arrange a place and time to meet. This meeting place will be in either an Isis clinic or in the looked after residential home of the young person.
A six week programme or one off session will be offered and learning outcomes will be identified. The young person will be asked to enter into an agreement of attendance.
Evaluation will be against these agreed outcomes.
Please use the referral form here.
*Special note on Child Sexual Exploitation or Sexual Abuse*
(i) Any young people at risk of Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) or those who are currently being exploited should be referred to Catch22. They provide a 1-1 support service for young people across Merseyside. Any young person with CSE concerns can be referred to Catch22 for specialist support. Please contact the Merseyside team on; 0151 934 2535Â or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(ii) For anyone of any age with a history of sexual abuse or CSE, contact Sefton RASA for specialist additional support Tel. 0151 922 9385 or email email@example.com.
For young people who have identified as LGBT+ or are questioning their sexuality, referrals can be made to the New Beginnings Youth Group (Sefton Council). Referrals to be made through the Sefton Council EIP Gateway.
How to refer to the gateway
- Complete an assessment and email EIP.Gateway@sefton.gov.uk
- Raise a query regarding a child/young person/family you are concerned about EIP.Gateway@sefton.gov.uk
- Complete a pre CAF form available via www.sefton.gov.uk